"ASTON ROWNANT, a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, 5 miles to the S. of Thame, its post town. It lies near the border of Buckinghamshire, on the north side of the Chiltern hills, and comprises the townships of Chalford and Kingston Blount. A branch of the ancient way called Iknield Street passes through the parish, and some Roman antiquities have been discovered near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is in the early English style, and contains several old monuments and two brasses, the earliest of the year 1441. It is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a school endowed with £41 per annum, and other charities amounting to £80. The principal residence is Aston Park, the seat of Sir F. Desanges."
"CHALFORD, a township in the parish of Aston Rownant, in the county of Oxford, 3 miles S. of Thame."
"KINGSTON-BLOUNT, a liberty in the parish of Aston-Rownant, hundred of Lewknor, county Oxford, 4 miles S.E. of Tetsworth, and 5 S.E. of Thame. It is situated under the Chiltern hills, near the line of the ancient Icknield Street."
[The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aston Rowant to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aston Rowant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU727990 (Lat/Lon: 51.685063, -0.949793), Aston Rowant which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)