"BRITWELL-SALOME, (or Brightwell-Salome), a parish in the hundred of Lewknor, in the county of Oxford, close to Britwell-Prior. It is situated near the ancient way called Icknield Street, which crossed Britwell Downs. On the downs are remains of a camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £240, in the patronage of Lord Carrington. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small stone building, with bell-cot for two bells. It contains a very ancient font and some brasses. The charities amount to 22 per annum." [The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Britwell Salome to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Britwell Salome has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU670932 (Lat/Lon: 51.633629, -1.033341), Britwell Salome which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)