Checkendon / Chakenden
"CHECKENDON, (or Chakenden), a parish in the hundred of Langtree, in the county of Oxford, 7 miles W. of Henley-upon-Thames, its post town, and 4.5 from the Goring railway station on the Great Western line. It is situated under the Chiltern hills, and the village is small and straggling. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £555, in the patronage of University College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient edifice in the Norman style of architecture, and possesses some ancient brasses. There are several small charities for clothing the poor." [The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Checkendon / Chakenden to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Checkendon / Chakenden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU663831 (Lat/Lon: 51.542912, -1.045358), Checkendon / Chakenden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)