Pyrton / Pirton
"PIRTON, a parish in the hundred of Pirton, county Oxford, 5 miles S.W. of Tetsworth, its post town, and half a mile N.E. of Watlington. It is traversed by the Roman way Icknield Street, and is mentioned in Domesday Book as Peritone, at which time it was held by Hugh Lupus. It comprises the hamlets of Clare, Golder, Portways, Standhill, Upper Assendon, and Christmas Common. The village, which is extensive, is chiefly agricultural. A large portion of the land is heathy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £238, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square wooden tower containing five bells. The interior contains some old monuments. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum, realised from poor's land. There are almshouses for four men and six women, founded and endowed by Sir Francis Stonor in 1820. The manor house, which is still the principal residence, was once the residence of the famous John Hampden. There is an ancient Roman Catholic chapel at Assendon in good preservation. The Earl of Macclesfield, and Hugh Hamersley, Esq., are lords of the manor." [The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
See also below under Gazetteers
Extracts from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ASSENDON, (or Upper Assendon), a hamlet in the parish of Pirton and hundred of the same name, in the county of Oxford, 3 miles to the N.W. of Henley-upon-Thames. Here is an almshouse, founded in the reign of James I. by Sir Francis Stoner, and endowed with £5 per annum. In this hamlet is a spring which flows only after rainy weather."
"CHRISTMAS COMMON, a liberty in the parish of Pirton, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles S.E. of Watlington."
"CLARE, a liberty in the parish of Pirton, in the county of Oxford, 2 miles N. of Watlington."
"GOLDER, a liberty in the parish of Pirton, county Oxford, 1 mile N. of Watlington."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pyrton / Pirton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pyrton / Pirton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU688957 (Lat/Lon: 51.655887, -1.006846), Pyrton / Pirton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)