The Ancient Parish of BOLTON PERCY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BOLTON PERCY, a parish, 3.5 miles ESE. of Tadcaster. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), Patron, the Archbishop of York. It is one of the neatest in the county, was built by Thomas Parker, who died in the year 1423, in the windows are thirty three coats of arms, beautifully stained on glass, and in a good state of preservation, also in the large window in the choir five whole length figures. Amongst the testamentary burials in this church are William Fairfax, 1514; Sir William Fairfax, 1557; John Vavasour, 1559; Gabriel Fairfax, 1582; Ferdinando Lord Fairfax, l648. -Pop. 238."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Bolton Percy, through the Lyche gate.
- All Saints' Church, Bolton Percy, showing the Lyche gate.
- All Saints' Church, Bolton Percy, showing the War Memorial.
- All Saints' Church, Appleton Roebuck (view 1).
- All Saints' Church, Appleton Roebuck (view 2).
- The Methodist Chapel, Appleton Roebuck, formerly Wesleyan, founded in 1818.
- St. Paul's Church, Colton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835,, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bolton Percy to another place.
- In 1875, the township of Appleton-Roebuck (in this parish)was detached from the parish of Bolton Percy and added to Acaster Selby, thereby forming the new parish of Acaster Selby-with-Appleton-Roebuck. See Acaster Selby with Appleton Roebuck parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE532412 (Lat/Lon: 53.864298, -1.192529), Bolton Percy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE555416) Holme Green
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.