York St Dennis
The Ancient Parish of YORK ST DENNIS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"YORK ST DENNIS, a parish in the city of York, in Walmgate, (united with St. George which church is no longer standing, and Naburn) a rectory, value +4L. 0s. 10d. Patron, the University of Cambridge, held with St. George, Naburn, value p.r. 80L. Population 1,093.
Bell Hall, Gilridding and Lincroft were (houses) within the township of Naburn, which is in the East Riding wapentake of Ouse and Derwent. - see the page for York St. Dennis within the East Riding."
"NABURN, in the parishes of Acaster Malbis and York St Dennis, (both in the Ainsty), wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, East Riding; 4 miles S. of York. Here is a Chapel of Ease of the Established church, and likewise a Methodist chapel. The town is situate near to the bank of the river Ouse. There is here also an endowed school of £10. per annum, for ten boys; £5. of which was left by Lady Hewley, and £5. by Mr. Edward Loftus. Population, 366."
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the United parish of St Denys with St George.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Please see the York page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from York St Dennis to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE607516 (Lat/Lon: 53.956938, -1.07644), York St Dennis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Memorial Plaque in St. Denys's Church, York.