Terrington Parish information from Bulmers' 1890.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Sheriff Hutton - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division, and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.

This parish, including the township of Gawthorpe, contains 3,630 acres and 685 inhabitants, of which 2,930 acres and 562 persons belong to the township of Terrington. Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe are included in this township, which was enclosed by Act of Parliament, 10 George III., and Award of the Commissioners, in July, 1779, which commuted the tithes in kind for glebe lands and fixed money payments. The Award also prescribed the common public bridle and carriage roads and footways, and allotted lands for peats and stones, and awarded to the lord of the manor, the rector, and 19 freeholders, their several portions. The rateable value of the township is £3,620. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and principal owner, into whose family the estate came by purchase in 1752, from Viscount Downe. A small estate in the township is owned by John Arminson, Esq., and there are several small freeholders.

The village of Terrington is situated eight miles W.S.W. of Malton, and about 1½ miles westward of the Castle Howard demesne. Cliff Hall, the seat of Mrs. M. Worsley, is a beautiful stone mansion in the village, built by her late husband, Marcus Worsley, Esq., in 1870, and on a stone is inscribed the pious invocation "Peace be within thy walls," with the initials M. W.

The Church (All Saints) is an ancient interesting stone structure, in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, porch, and a fine lofty tower, containing clock and three bells. The tenor bell, in good preservation, bears the date 1100. It is said, by tradition, to have come from Kirkham Priory. In 1870 the church was restored and the tower repaired, at a cost of £2,200, raised by voluntary contributions. The arches of the south porch were entirely rebuilt of new stone work, in keeping with the old. The church was reseated with open pitchpine benches, and a beautiful reredos presented by Lady Worsley, of Hovingham. The organ was the gift of the late Marcus Worsley, Esq., of the Cliff. The east window, of three lights, is by Hardman, of Birmingham, and is a memorial to the late Mrs. Garforth, of Wiganthorpe. There is also a memorial window, of two lights, on the north side of the church to the late W. F. W. Garforth; also a two-light stained glass window as a memorial to the late Miss Hardy, of Terrington. There are several brasses in the church, one in the floor has the epitaph of John Geldart, of Wiganthorpe, who died July, 1677, in the 47th year of his age. He was the son of John Geldart, of York, lord mayor in 1645 and 1654. In the south wall of the nave is an old piece of wall in herringbone work. It has been supposed from this that the wall dates from the Saxon period. The register dates from 1590. According to the Diocesan Calendar there is accommodation for 250 persons. The benefice is a rectory, of the yearly value of £500, and is now held by, and in the gift of, the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. What was formerly the Rectory House, and built in 1827 by the then rector, has been sold, and is now called Terrington Hall. The new rectory is a handsome stone building, a short distance from the church, and was erected by the present rector in 1868.

The Schools are mixed, and were built in 1838, to accommodate 90 children; at present the average is about 70, with 105 on the books. The support comes from a school rate and the fees of the children.

The Wesleyan Chapel was erected in 1816, and a new Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1867.

The poor have about £9 left to them by various donors, distributed to them yearly in the month of January.

Mowthorpe, called Mulethorpe in Domesday Book, is an estate diversified with romantic valleys and scenic uplands. It formerly belonged to a family styled De Multhorpe, and was subsequently held by the Mallorys, Salvins, Langton, and Danbys. It is divided into four farms, and was anciently a distinct manor, as appears from the will of Anketinus Salvayne, Esq., proved 17th June, 1351, wherein he bequeaths his soul to be buried in the parish church of Tyryngton, and all his goods, both within and without his manor of Multhorpe, to Nicholas, his son. The estate is now the property of the Earl of Carlisle.

Wiganthorpe is a hamlet and estate in this township, and was anciently a distinct lordship, held by the ancient family of Stapylton. The subsequent owners were the Methams, the Geldarts, one of whom was lord mayor of York, the Ellises, and the Garforths. The estate has been recently sold by Mr. W. H. Garforth, in whose family it had been for a long period, to Earl Fitzwilliam, for £110,000. The Hall is a spacious brick building, situated in a park of 300 acres, lying between Malton and Easingwold, a short distance from Castle Howard. Extensive and costly improvements are to be carried out in the mansion and demesne, to fit it for the residence of the Hon. William Henry Wentworth and the Lady Mary Fitzwilliam.

GANTHORPE is a small township of 701 acres, lying on the west side of Castle Howard park. The Earl of Carlisle is sole owner and lord of the manor. The rateable value is £649, and the number of inhabitants 123. The village is small, and is situated about one mile from the parish church. It is supplied with excellent water, which is conveyed in pipes from the Ganthorpe springs.

In Domesday Book this place is called Gamelthorpe, that is the thorpe or village of Gamel, its early Norse owner, and Ganthorpe is probably the clipped and corrupted form of that name. Among the place-names of Ganthorpe mentioned in early documents is the "Chapel of St. Mary Magdalen." This was probably a chantry chapel, as we find that William Jackson in his will, proved in 1540, gives to "Sir Knan the chantry prest xvi.d." Another placename mentioned is "Spital Close," but if any hospital ever stood there it has passed away without leaving a trace behind.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]


  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.

Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.