"Kilkenny, a county of Ireland, province of Leinster, 40 m. long and 20 broad; bounded E by Catherlough and Wexford; W by Tipperary, N by Queen's county, and S by Waterford, containing 510,000 acres, divided into 127 parishes. The soil is generally of a good quality, with little bog land. In the N are excellent quarries for flags; coal is produced in great abundance; in the limestone district are valuable marble quarries; and manganese, iron ore, lead ore, and some indication of copper ore, are perceived in different parts. Chief rivers, the Suire, Barrow, and Nore. It sends 2 members to parliament. Pop. 157,096."
[From The New London Gazetteer (1826)]
Bibliography - from WorldGenWeb.
- Listing of Monumental Inscriptions held by the Genealogical Office.
- Kilkenny Archaeological Society's Indexes to Monumental Inscriptions
Available Census Records and Census Substitutes.
- Here is detailed information about the various Administrative Divisions of County Kilkenny
- Listing of links: Sights and Sounds of Kilkenny.
The transcription for this county from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- County Kilkenny Genealogy - IrelandGenWeb
- The Irish Ancestors website (subscription) has the following types of records: State Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths, Census returns, Land records, Church records, Genealogical Office records, Gravestone inscriptions, Directories, Newspapers, Wills, Deeds, and Occupations.
- Irish Ancestors' extensive County Kilkenny website.
- The LDS FamilySearch Wiki's Ireland Online Genealogy Records for County Kilkenny.
- The Fianna website's pages for County Kilkenny provide important addresses and extensive information about online and other genealogy resources.
- WorldGenWeb - Kilkenny Query Forum
- WorldGenWeb - Kilkenny Surnames Index
- WorldGenWeb - Kilkenny Mailing List
- WorldGenWeb - Kilkenny Lookup Service
- County Kilkenny Genealogy Links
Transcription of Samuel Lewis' description of County Kilkenny (1837).
Articles by Dennis Walsh:
County Kilkenny Maps from WorldGenWeb:
- County Kilkenny
- Outline Civil Parish Map
- Civil Parish Map
- Catholic Parishes - with dates of earliest parish registers
- Catholic Parish Map (1600's)
- Catholic Parish Map (1800's)
- Barony Map
- Barony and Civil Parish Map
- Town Map
- Poor Law Union Maps
- Medieval Kilkenny - with an account of the early history of the county
- Major Rivers and Towns
- 1640 Landowner Distribution
WorldGenWeb's listings of the Baronies, Cities and Towns, Civil Parishes, and Townlands.
County Kilkenny Parish and Town web pages at Genuki.
* Volunteers are needed to host Parish pages or to contribute data.
Listing of Kilkenny newspapers, and where copies can be consulted.
Old Kilkenny Review (annual),
The Secretary, Kilkenny Archeaological Society, Rothe House, Kilkenny
Listing of available Will Abstracts and Indexes.