"FRASERBURGH, a parish and burgh of regality, in the district of BUCHAN, county of Aberdeen, 42 miles (N. by E.) from Aberdeen, and 149 (N. N. E.) from Edinburgh; containing 3615 inhabitants, of whom 326 are resident in the village of Broadsea. This place, anciently called Faithly, was at one time the property of Sir Alexander Fraser, on whose lands a town was built, for which he obtained a charter from James VI. . . The town, which is situated on the south side of Kinnaird Head, a bold promontory projecting into the German Ocean, near the entrance of the Moray Firth, consists of several spacious and well-formed streets, intersecting each other at right angles. The houses are substantially built, and generally of handsome appearance, and many of the more modern class are spacious; the streets are well paved, and the inhabitants amply supplied with water. . . The TRADE carried on principally arises from the exportation of grain, other agricultural produce, and fish; and the importation of timber, coal, lime, bricks, tiles, salt, and various kinds of goods for the supply of the shops in the town. . . The harbour, situated at the north-eastern extremity of the bay of Fraserburgh, is easy of access, and has a depth of six feet at low water, and of twenty feet at spring tides; it is about eight acres in extent, and affords security to vessels at all times. . . Philorth House, the seat of Lord Saltoun, the only mansion of any importance, is pleasantly situated at a short distance from the bay, and on the west bank of the river Philorth, in grounds tastefully laid out. Ecclesiastically the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen. . . Fraserburgh church, in the centre of the town, is a substantial structure built in 1802, and containing 1000 seats; a tower and spire were afterwards added, at an expense of £300, raised by subscription. There are two places of worship fo Independents, and one each for the Free Church and Episcopalians. The parochial school is attended by 100 children, of whom thirty are girls. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]


Church Records

Presbytery of Deer - Synod of Aberdeen

Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.

196/3 1820-54 

Description & Travel

Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.

You can see pictures of Fraserburgh which are provided by:





This parish appears on sheet 30 of the OS Landranger Series, and on sheet 150 of the OS Pathfinder Series.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ994644 (Lat/Lon: 57.669624, -2.012389), Fraserburgh which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Here is a list of place names in the parish.



A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.