Leochel and Cushnie


"LEOCHEL and CUSHNIE, a parish, in the district of Alford, county of Aberdeen, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Alford; containing 1084 inhabitants. These two ancient parishes, the etymology of the names of which is altogether uncertain, were united in 1618 by a decreet of the lords of Plat. . . The most ancient and the principal estates in the district of Leochel are the lands of Corse, Craigievar, Easter Fowlis or Fowlis-Mowat, Wester Fowlis, and Lynturk; those in Cushnie are, Cushnie, and Hallhead. . . . The PARISH is situated in the upper part of the district of Alford, and is rendered extremely irregular in its outline by a projection on the north-west, and another on the east, independently of which it measures about five miles from east to west, and three and a half from north to south. Its whole extent is 11,208 acres, of which 5455 are arable, 963 pasture, 3790 moor, and 1000 wood. . . The chief manufacture in the parish is that carried on at a carding-mill, where plaids and blankets are made to a small extent. . . Leochel and Cushnie are ecclesiastically in the presbytery, of Alford, synod of Aberdeen; and Sir John Forbes, Bart., and the Rev. Henry Thomas Lumsden, proprietor of Cushnie, are alternate patrons of the united parish, as respectively representing the patrons of the two old churches. The minister's stipend is £197, with an allowance in addition from the proprietor of Corse of £4. 16. 2. for ministerial services to the tenants of that district, a manse, and a glebe valued at £18 per annum. The church, containing 500 sittings, is in a dilapidated state, though built as late as 1797. The old churches are unroofed and ruinous, but the burying grounds attached are still used. A small place of worship belonging to the United Presbyterian Church is situated near the eastern boundary. There are two parochial schools, affording instruction in the ordinary branches. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]


Church Records

Presbytery of Alford - Synod of Aberdeen

Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.

Film BirthsMarriagesDeaths

Description & Travel

Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.

You can see pictures of Leochel and Cushnie which are provided by:





This parish appears on sheet 37 of the OS Landranger Series, and on sheet 228 of the OS Pathfinder Series.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ542114 (Lat/Lon: 57.191061, -2.759455), Leochel and Cushnie which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Here is a list of place names in the parish.



A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.