"PETERCULTER, a parish, in the district of Aberdeen and county of Aberdeen, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Aberdeen; containing 1259 inhabitants. This place is said to have derived the latter portion of its name, a compound of the Gaelic terms Cul, signifying "a back", and Tir, "a country or district", from its situation on the side of the river Dee; and the former portion of its name, from the dedication of its old church and wells to St. Peter. The church anciently belonged to the monks of Kelso. The place lays claim to a remote antiquity, and is supposed, upon unquestionable authority, to have been a Roman station. . . The Dee is subject to frequent inundations; and in the summer of 1829 the water rose to such a height as greatly to damage the crops growing near its banks, and to sweep down many stacks of hay. The salmon-fisheries on this river, previously very lucrative, have been much injured by the introduction of stake-nets at its mouth, and now scarcely remunerate the labour of the fishermen. . . The scenery is boldly diversified, and in many places enriched with thriving woods and plantations, and the tastefully embellished demesnes of gentlemen's seats, imparting to it a highly pleasing aspect. . . There is no regular village in the parish; but several of the inhabitants are engaged in different branches of manufacture. On the burn of Culter, near its influx into the river Dee, is a snuff manufactory. . . Ecclesiastically this place is within the bounds of the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £196, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £11 per annum; patron, R. W. Duff, Esq., of Fetteresso and Culter. The church, beautifully situated on the bank of the Dee, was built in 1779; it is a neat substantial structure, and contains 550 sittings. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]


Church Records

Presbytery of Aberdeen - Synod of Aberdeen

Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.

231/11643-1792 1647-1750

Description & Travel

Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.

You can see pictures of Peterculter which are provided by:





This parish appears on sheet 38 of the OS Landranger Series, and on sheet 246 of the OS Pathfinder Series.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ851023 (Lat/Lon: 57.11138, -2.246908), Peterculter which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Here is a list of place names in the parish.



A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.