"CANISBAY, (or Canute's Bay), a parish in the county of Caithness, Scotland. It is situated in a heathy district on the coast of the Pentland Firth, and includes the neighbouring island of Stroma. Duncansby Head and John o'Groat's house are at the north-eastern extremity of this parish. The coast is rocky, and limestone is abundant. The inhabitants are engaged in agriculture and the fisheries. The living, worth £206, is in the presbytery of Caithness, in the gift of the Sinclairs. There is a Free church, and the Independents have a place of worship at Freswick, and the Baptists one at the Mull of Mey. In this parish are Barrogill and Brabster castles-the former the seat of the Earl of Caithness. There are several ruins of forts and chapels. The parish extends about 10 miles in length and 5 in breadth."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Canisbay from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- The transcriptions for the places of Auckingill, Duncansbay, Freswick, Gills, Huna, Mey-East-and-West, and Stroma in this parish from the Topographical Dictionary of Scotland by Samuel Lewis (1851).
Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis - 1851
FRESWICK, a township, in the parish of Canisbay, county of Caithness; containing 414 inhabitants. This place is situated in the eastern part of the parish, where the coast is washed by the North Sea, and indented by Freswick bay; the beach here is composed of sand and a mixture of sandstone and shells, and at a short distance southward is the promontory of Freswick point. The lands are the property of the Sinclair family, who are proprietors of the greater portion of the parish, and to whom belongs Freswick House, an ancient mansion, not inhabited for many years, and now in an almost ruinous state. Freswick burn pursues an eastern course of a few miles, and discharges itself into the bay. Here are the ruins of an edifice called Bucholie Castle, which appears to be of great antiquity; and there was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Maddan, of which scarcely a vestige now remains.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Canisbay to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Canisbay has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ND337717 (Lat/Lon: 58.627705, -3.143953), Canisbay which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)