Hide
Newton Port, Haddington, Antiburgher
hide
Hide
Hide
Antiburgher church,
Newton Port,
Haddington
Hide
This church is shown on John Woods 1819 map of Haddington as an Antiburgher meeting house. By the 1853 OS map, it is described as Knox's Free Church. On the 1893 map, the building is still extant, but, no longer in use as a church, becoming a "Free Library" on the 1894 OS map. The building remained as the town library, until the early 2000's when the library moved to the John Gray Centre.
(Note - this history appears to align with the church described on pp 514 - 516 of Smalls "History of the Congregations of the UP Church" as "Haddington (Antiburgher)", which indicates that a falling roll, and the death of the minister, led to the dispersal of the congregation in 1876, with the property being disposed of to the town council in 1881, after which it became "a public reading-room and library")
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)