CARRINGTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CARRINGTON, a parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, including the village of Carrington, or Primrose, 5 miles to the S. of Dalkeith. It is situated in a hilly country, on the banks of the South Esk, not far from the southern division of the North British railway. This district was anciently the estate of the Dalhousies, and afterwards of Sir A. Primrose. The workpeople are employed in the neighbouring mines. The surface rises at the Muirfoot hills to the height of 1,860 feet. The living, worth £158, is in the presbytery of Dalkeith, and in the patronage of the Earl of Roseberry, a descendant of Sir A. Primrose. The parish is about 4 miles long and 2 broad."
"THORNTON, a village in the parish of Carrington, county Edinburgh, Scotland, near Borthwick."
"WHITEFAUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Carrington, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Lasswade."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.