"A small town and parish of Edinburghshire. The town stands on the left bank of the North Esk, but includes the suburb of Westmill in Cockpen parish, with which it is connected by a substantial stone bridge."

"Lasswade parish is bounded N by Colinton, Liberton, and Newton, W by Glencorse, S by Penicuik and Carrington, and E by Cockpen, Newbattle, Dalkeith. Its greatest length, from NNE to SSW, is 7 1/3 miles; its greatest breadth is 6 miles, but its average breadth is little over 3 miles; and its area is 10,678 acres. A projecting wing at the NW extremity is occupied by the E end of the Pentland Hills, presenting partly heath and partly good pasture; and in the S, a district of bleak and unsheltered moorland, including some of the northern declivities of the Moorfoot Hills, stretches for about 2 miles into the interior. The surface on the whole declines rapidly from the border towards the SE, and consists of rich and well-cultivated plain, finely wooded, and of picturesquely diversified scenery."

(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer



Monumental inscriptions for Old Lasswade can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.

Roslin village war memorial contains the following names from 1914-1918:
Capt A C Miller
Capt D Pollock MM Cam.H.
2nd Lt RJ Dewar DCM R.F.A.
CSM AJ Watts R.S.
Sgt W Barclay Gor.H.
Sgt P Baxter Sea.H.
Sgt G T G MacLean R.E
Cpl. H B Brown Sea.H.
Cpl. W Cameron Cam.H.
Cpl J S Herdman S.B.
Cpl W P Jack Sea.H.
Cpl J Y Penman R.A.S.C.
Cpl W P Richardson R.S.
Bomb A Barclay DCM MM R.F.A.
L Cpl J Affleck Cam.H.
L Cpl J Bell Cam.H.
L Cpl G Knox R.S.F.
L Cpl J D Millar Sea. H.
L Cpl B Smith R.S.
L Cpl P M Wilson Cam.H.
Dvr A G Brown R.F.A.
Dvr R A Logie R.E.
Dvr J Wright R.G.A.
Gnr D Anderson A.I.F.
Gnr J Crane G.E.F.
Gnr J McGaw R.F.A.
Ifr J Robertson D.G.
Pte J F Affleck R.S.
Pte J Archibald R.S.
Pte W Baillie R.A.S.C.
Pte J Brown R.S.
Pte M Curran Sea. H.
Pte D A Finlay R.S.
Pte W Hannah R.S.
Pte C A Henderson C.H.
Pte J Johnston Cam. H.
Pte A Knox S.G.
Pte A R Lawrence R.S.
Pte W G R Lawrie Sea. H.
Pte S Lorimer R.S.
Pte F H MacFie Sea. H.
Pte A MacBeath N.F.
Pte A McKendry R.S.
Pte J McKendry K.O.S.B.
Pte A McLeish R.S.
Pte W J McLennan R.S.
Pte A McNair S.G.
Pte P G Munro H.L.I.
Pte WN Porteus N.Z.E.F.
Pte J B Ramsay Sea. H.
Pte E Richardson R.S.F.
Pte W Robertson R.S.
Pte J Shepherd R.S.
Pte A Wilson R.S.


Church Records

The parish church has records for births dating from 1617, marriages from 1617, and for deaths from 1634. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Lasswade which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for Lasswade from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT274623 (Lat/Lon: 55.848038, -3.16035), Lasswade which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law

Following the Poor Law Act of 1843, the parish joined the Dalkeith Combination to provide poor relief in the Dalkeith Poorhouse.





For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.

Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.