"A parish in the county of Selkirk, extending about 10 miles in every direction. The general appearance is hilly and mountainous, the river Etterick winding through it ... There are two lakes adjoining to one another, partly in this parish and partly in Yarrow, called the loch of the Lows, and St Mary's Loch, abounding with pike and perch ... Population in 1801, 445."
From Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.


Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Ettrick burials for 1829-1852.

Selkirkshire Antiquarian Society has published a CD containing transcripts and digital photographs of gravestones in the Ettrick cemetery.

A list of monumental inscriptions was printed in the 1964 volume of the Hawick Archaeological Society's Transactions and a list of the surnames recorded is available online.

Presbyterian / Unitarian
Ettrick, Church of Scotland


Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.



Presbyterian / Unitarian
Ettrick, Church of Scotland

Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1693. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).

The parish registers available worldwide on microfilm include kirk session minutes and accounts for the years 1693-1707 (in part 774B/1). More information on kirk sessions and their records can be found in the Church Records section of the Selkirkshire page.


Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.


Description & Travel

The Ettrick and Yarrow Valleys website includes information about the local history as well as tourist information, photographs etc.

Hunter Boa's website includes pictures of places in Ettrick and Yarrow parishes.

See also History section below.

You can see pictures of Ettrick which are provided by:





  • The tourist's guide and angler's companion for the valleys of Ettrick and Yarrow by Thomas Wright, published (2nd edition) at Selkirk in 1893 (147 pages).
  • Ettrick and Yarrow: a guide: with songs and ballads by William Angus, published at Selkirk in 1894 (228 pages)


Ordnance Survey maps covering Ettrick include:

  • Landranger 73: Peebles, Galashiels & surrounding area - scale 1:50000, or 1.25inch:1mile, or 2cm:1km
  • Landranger 79: Hawick & Eskdale area
  • Pathfinder 484: Ettrick - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km
  • Outdoor Leisure 44: Tweed Valley (Peebles to St Boswells) - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km

Ettrick is also covered by two reprinted one-inch to the mile Victorian Ordnance Survey maps. These are published by Caledonian Maps. The maps covering Ettrick (the first one takes in almost all of the parish) are:

  • Sheet 16: Moffat, including Beattock, Eskdalemuir, Ettrick Water, Hart Fell, St Mary's Loch, Thirlestane, Tweedsmuir and Yarrow
  • Sheet 17: Hawick & Jedburgh, including Ancrum, Ashkirk, Bedrule, Bonchester, Cheviot Hills, Hobkirk, Lilliesleaf, Minto, Teviotdale, and Watling Street

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT260137 (Lat/Lon: 55.411186, -3.170552), Ettrick which are provided by:



Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

  • 1755 - 397
  • 1801 - 445
  • 1811 - 440
  • 1821 - 485
  • 1831 - 530
  • 1861 - 454