"DELTING, a parish on the mainland of Shetland, in the county of Orkney and Shetland, Scotland. It is situated in the E. of the island, and is bounded on the N. by Yell Sound, on the E. by Nesting and Lunnasting, on the S. by Weesdale and Sandsting, and on the W. by Salemvoe and St. Magnus Bay. It is very much intersected by arms of the sea, and is some 14 miles in length by 4 in average breadth. The surface is for the most part hilly and barren, but oats and barley are raised near the coast. The chief occupation is fishing. The two islands of Muckle Roe and Little Roe belong to this parish. There are seven landowners, and the chief mansions are those of Garth, Busta, Mossbank, and Ullhouse. This parish is in the presbytery of Burravoe, and synod of Shetland, and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland. The minister has a stipend of £151. There are two parish churches, one in the S., the other in the N. of the parish, and there is also a Free church."
From The National Gazetteer of of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"DELTING, a parish in the Mainland of Shetland, including the islands of Bigga, Fishholm, Brother Isle, Little Roe, and Muckle Roe, only the last of which is inhabited. It is bounded N by Yell Sound, separating it from Yell; E by Lunnasting and Nesting; S by Weesdale and Sandsting; and W by St Magnus Bay and Sulem Voe. Joined to Northmaven by a narrow neck of land, less than 100 feet broad, that separates the German from the Atlantic Ocean, it has an utmost length of 20 miles, and varies in breadth from 3 to 6 miles, being much intersected by voes or arms of the sea. The surface is, for the most part, hilly, bleak, and barren; but along the banks of the voes and in the valleys are patches of good arable land. The chief harbours are St Magnus Bay, Sulem Voe, Olnafirth Voe, Busta Voe, and Goufirth Voe. In the island of Muckle Roe there is some fine rock scenery; and the sea washes into several large caves-the haunts of numerous wild birds. There are remains of an ancient artificial harbour at Burravoe, and some vestiges of a Pictish house at Brough, on Yell Sound. Fully one-half of the parish belongs to the estate of the Giffords of Busta. The next largest proprietor is Major Cameron of Garth. The other properties are small. The principal residences are Busta, Garth, Udhouse, Mossbank, and Voe. There are large stores and fish-curing establishments at Voe, Brae, and Mossbank. Delting is in the presbytery of Olnafirth and synod of Shetland; the stipend is £150, with 9 merks of glebe and a good manse. There are two parish churches, distant about 10 miles from one another, viz., Scatsta, built in 1811, and Olnafirth in 1868. There are also a Free church at Brae and a U.P. church at Mossbank; and the six schools of Brae, Goufirth, Firth, Muckle Roe, Olnafirth, and Mossbank, with total accommodation for 254 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 164, and grants amounting to £201,14s. Valuation (1882) £2361,12s. 8d. Pop. (1801) 1449, (1831) 2070, (1861) 1975, (1871) 1862, (1881) 1654."
F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
- The transcription of the section for Delting from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis - 1851
BIGGA-ISLE, an isle, in the two parishes of Delting, and Mid and South Yell, county of Shetland. It is a small isle, lying between the Mainland of Shetland and the island of Yell, in the sound of Yell. Half of it belongs to the parish of Mid and South Yell, and half to that of Delting. The inhabitants consist of a few faraiUes who pasture black-cattle and sheep.
FISH-HOLM, an island, in the parish of Delting, county of Shetland. It is a small island of the Shetland group, situated northward of the Mainland of the parish, and in the southern part of Yell Sound.
ROE-LITTLE-AND-MUCKLE, islands, in the parish of Delting, county of Shetland; one containing 11, and the other 214, inhabitants. Little Roe is situated on the northern coast of the parish, in Yell Sound; and Muckle Roe in St. Magnus' bay, on the western coast of the Mainland of Shetland. The former is of very inconsiderable size, and its inhabitants, consisting of two or three families, employ themselves in fishing. The latter is a comparatively large island, about twenty-four miles in circumference, having some spots of land brought into cultivation within the last 100 years, while the other portions are covered with a fine kind of heath, which affords good pasture to sheep and black-cattle, great numbers of both which are reared.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Delting to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Delting has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference HU374691 (Lat/Lon: 60.404333, -1.323311), Delting which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)