"Name, Situation, and Extent - The name of this parish is of Gaelic origin, and signifies Fair Land. Contrasted with the bleak and precipitous rudeness of the adjacent moors and mountians, its grassy hills, its fertile and well watered valleys, entitle it to this appellation. - Fintry is situatted in the midst of that range of hills, which reaches from Stirling to Dumbarton, and behind that particular district of them usually denominated by the Campsie Fells. It lies 17 miles due N. from Glasgow, 12 miles W. b. S. from Stirling, and 21 or 22 miles E. by N. from Dumbarton. It belongs to the commissariot of Glasgow. It extends from E. to W. 5 miles, and from N. to S. more than 4; though the only part of it, which is inhabited, are a small valley on the banks of the Endrick, and another on the banks of the Carron; both of which rivers have their sources in this parish."
Parish of Fintry (County of Stirling - Presbytery of Dumbarton - Synod of Glasgow and Ayr) By the Rev. Mr. Gavin Gibb, Minister of Strathblane. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
- The transcription of the section for Fintry from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
See also Edinburgh University's "Gazetteer for Scotland"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fintry to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fintry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS641856 (Lat/Lon: 56.044302, -4.183702), Fintry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)