National Gazetteer, 1868
Larbert - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LARBERT, a parish in county Stirling, Scotland. It is a railway station on the Scottish Central line, and situated 8 miles S.E. of Stirling, and 27 from Edinburgh. It comprises the villages of Larbert, Kinnaird, Stenhousemuir, and West Carron. Its size is about 2,a-, square miles. About 200 acres are plantation, and the remainder arable. Here both coal and ironstone are extensively worked. The rivers are the Carron, which runs along the southern border of the parish, and the Pow, a stream on its north side. The parish (united to Dunipace) is in the presbytery of Stirling, and synod of Perth and Stirling, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £322. The parish church is a modern structure in the Elizabethan style of architecture. Here is a Free church. There are six schools, one of which is endowed. Here are the Carron Works, one of the largest iron foundries in Europe, employing nearly 2,000 hands; it is carried on by a chartered company, and was projected by Dr. Roebuck, of Sheffield, in 1760. The chief seats are Glenbervie, Larbert House, Carron Hall, and Kinnaird -the latter once the residence and property of Bruce, the Abyssinian traveller, who was born, died, and buried in this parish. Near this place the great Roman road passes, and about a quarter of a mile to the W. the foundation of a bridge is visible when the river Carron is, low. Here both Roman millstones and pottery have been discovered, and Danish forts are seen. The famous Falkirk cattle tryst is held on a moor in this parish in October, when 20,000 to 30,000 head of cattle, and near 100,000 sheep change hands."
"CARRON, a village in the parish of Larbert, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles to the N. of Falkirk. It is situated in a pleasant district on the river Carron, which takes its rise in Campsie Fells, and after a course of about 20 miles falls into the Forth at Grangemouth. The banks of this river have, since the time of the Romans, been the scene of many memorable transactions. In the beginning of the 5th century a desperate battle was fought near this place between the Scots and Picts and the Romans. In 1298, Wallace fought the English under Edward I. And in the same locality, near Falkirk, in 1745, Prince Charles Edward defeated the Hanoverian troops. The village is the seat of the well-known Carron Iron Works, one of the largest establishments of the kind in Europe. They were founded in 1760, and are the property of a chartered company. The works comprise blast or smelting furnaces, cupola and air furnaces, grinding, glazing, and boring mills, &c., and are employed in the manufacture of ordnance of all kinds, anchors, anvils, machinery, and implements of agriculture. The company also work the extensive mines of coal, ironstone, and limestone in the neighbourhood. The works give employment to several thousand persons. Carronades were first made here, and took their name from this place."
"CARRONSHORE, a village in the parishes of Larbert and Bothkennar, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, close to West Carron, and serving as a seaport to the Carron Iron Works, with which it is connected by a railway. Vessels of 150 tons can ascend to this village."
"KINNAIRD, a village in the parish of Larbert, county Stirling, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Falkirk. This estate was owned by Bruce, the celebrated Abyssinian traveller. The inhabitants are chiefly employed as colliers. The Carron Ironworks are in the neighbourhood."
"STENHOUSEMUIR, a village in the parish of Larbert, county Stirling, Scotland, 1 mile from Falkirk, and 8 miles S.E. of Stirling. The Falkirk Trysts are held here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)