ECCLESMACHAN, West Lothian - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ECCLESMACHAN, a parish in county Linlithgow, Scotland, near the post town Uphall. It is situated on the East Burn, a tributary of the Almond. It contains Three-mile-Town and Waterston. The parish is divided into two equal parts, distant about 1 mile from each other. It is 4 miles long by 1 mile broad. The surface is flat, and the soil good. This parish is in the presbytery of Linlithgow, and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister has a stipend of £257. Freestone and coal exists. A sulphur spring, called the Bullion Well, is near the manse. The nearest railway station is at Houston, half a mile distant."
"THREEMILETOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Ecclesmachan, county Linlithgow, Scotland, 4 miles E. of Linlithgow."
"WATERSTON, a village in the parish of Ecclesmachan, county Linlithgow, Scotland, near Uphall."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)