"A small town and yet smaller parish of Linlithgowshire. The town is a royal and parliamentary burgh, the royal comprising all the parish of Queensferry, and the parliamentary extending into Dalmeny. It stands on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth, here only 1⅛ mile broad, and has a station on a branch line of the North British, 5⅜ miles N by W of Ratho Junction and 10 WNW of Edinburgh, from which by road it is 9 miles distant. Its site is a belt of low ground at a point opposite the peninsula of North Queensferry, and the intermediate island of Inchgarvie, where the firth is suddenly and briefly, but very greatly, contracted in breadth. The ground behind the town rises abruptly; and immediately at the summit, or even on the slope of the steep bank, becomes open agricultural country. The town comes first into notice as the station at which St Margaret, the queen of Malcolm Ceannmor, crossed the Forth in her numerous excursions between Edinburgh and Dunfermline during 1068 and 1093; and it received in honour of her both its present name and some early Latin designations of similar import. e.g., Portus Reginae (1164) and Passagium Reginae (1182)."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
- The transcription of the section for South Queensferry from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Queensferry to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Queensferry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT128780 (Lat/Lon: 55.986895, -3.398638), Queensferry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)