"LLANALLGO, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Twrcelyn, county Anglesey, 6 miles E. of Llanerchymedd, its post town, and 7 N. of Llangefni. It is situated on the northern part of Red Wharfe Bay, overlooking the Irish Sea. At a place here called Moelfre marble of good quality is obtained. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llaneugrad. The rude little church of Llanallgo is a cruciform structure, dedicated to St. Gallgov. It has attained a melancholy celebrity as the burial-place of the corpses washed on shore after the loss of the Royal Charter steam clipper, on 26th October, 1859. There are remains of a chapel, said to have been built about the 7th century, and dedicated to St. Alltgo. Close to it is a holy well. At Moelfre is a cromlech of rather unusual size, resting upon seven supports. It is in contemplation to erect a column on the rocks above the bay to commemorate the loss of the Royal Charter." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



  • Evans, Robin. Llongau a llongwyr plwyf Llanallgo 1780-1820. Cymru a'r Môr 19 (1997-98), p. 70-87
  • Hughes, S Roose. Pregeth ar longdrylliad y Royal Charter, a draddodwyd yn yr Ysgol Wladwriaethol, Llanallgo, Mon, ar y 13eg o Dachwedd, 1859. Caernarfon : J. W. Rees, pr, 1859. 12p
  • Lewis, Wynne. The parish of Llanallgo in 1851. Journal of the Aberystwyth Agricultural Society 1987, p. 83-96



Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanallgo Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 659 acres; Population 209 males, 221 females, total 430

  • Llanallgo Parochial Chapel Attendance - evening 47 John Griffith, Rector
  • Paradise, Calfinistic Methodist Erected 38 years Attendance - morning 84 scholars, afternoon 203, evening 60 Ishmael Owen, Deacon
  • Big, Wesleyan Methodists Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 36 scholars "The place that we have for worship his a dwelling house. We have no regular service only every other Sunday. We have school every Sunday. We have not taken any account of the congregation at no time. It his a rented house" Robert Robarts, Manager, Lligwy Penrhos
  • Carmel, Independents Erected 24 years Attendance - morning 82, afternoon 81 scholars, evening 102 Robert Lewis, Deacon
  • Llanallgo Parish Church site - church history, renovation of the bell, and also the story of the Wreck of the Royal Charter in 1859
  • St Allgo's Church, Moelfre ".....A medieval parish church, restored and extended in the late nineteenth century. ..." coflein
  • Eglwys Bresbyteraidd (CM) Paradwys - on geograph.org.uk and "....... was built in 1800, rebuilt in 1805, 1856 and rebuilt again in 1898..." coflein
  • Capel Carmel, Moelfre (Ind) - on geograph.org.uk and "Carmel Independent Chapel was built in 1827 and rebuilt in 1872....." coflein

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of

  • St Gallgo's Church
  • Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel, Moelfre
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Moelfro section (in Welsh) has been extracted .Translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2016)

St Gallgo's church, Llanallgo - on the People's Collection Wales site


Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.


Description & Travel

Llanallgo - on wicipedia (Welsh)

Moelfre - on wikipedia

Aerial photograph of Din Lligwy Ancient Village, Llanallgo, 1994 - on People's Collection Wales

You can see pictures of Llanallgo which are provided by:



A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833


Land & Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanallgo land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
  • Llanallgo Parish;- 1754-2000: records
  • Llanallgo Parish Council;- 1930-74: minutes, records ; 1885-2002: additional records
  • Llanallgo tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanallgo window tax;- 1760: assessments


Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Parishes)

Parish of Llanallgo in the County of Anglesey - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH504857 (Lat/Lon: 53.346912, -4.248362), Llanallgo which are provided by:


Merchant Marine

Obelisk and gravestones, St Gallgo's church, Llanallgo - on the People's Collection Wales site.

  • "The church is associated with the wreck of the ROYAL CHARTER in October 1859. The bodies of the victims of the shipwreck were brought up the hill from the village to the Church which became the mortuary. The Rector of Llaneugrad and Llanallgo at the time was the Reverend Stephen Roose Hughes. Dickens records that he wrote 1075 letters in response to those who wrote to him inquiring after relatives and friends. There is an obelisk in the graveyard at Llanallgo which was raised by public subscription to commemorate the tragedy......"