"LLANRHWYDRYS, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 8 miles N.W. of Llanerchymedd, 14 from Holyhead, and 12 from Gwindy, its post town. It is situated on the north-western coast, in the vicinity of Camlyn Bay and the Skerries lighthouse. The village consists of a few farmhouses and cottages. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanrhyddlad, in the diocese of Bangor." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Name Index to the 1851 Census of Llanrhwydrys provided by Joyce Hinde.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanrhwydrys Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1143 acres; Population 85 males, 75 females, total 160
- St Rhywdrus Church "The church was orinally built in the C12,.............." coflein
- "Siloam Methodist Chapel (CM/Cemlyn) was built in 1828 and renovated in 1902............" coflein
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Siloh section (in Welsh) has been extracted- and translated by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2019) .
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
LLANRHWYDRUS (LLAN-RHWYDRYS), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N. W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 178 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the north-western extremity of the Isle of Anglesey, on a headland projecting into the Irish sea, on the north, and forming on the east the boundary of Camlyn bay. It derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Rhwydrus, by whom it was originally founded in the sixth century, and contains a large portion of enclosed and well-cultivated land. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, and in some parts highly picturesque; and the views along the coast and over the adjacent country are interesting and extensive. About two miles north-westward from the main land is Ynys y Moelrhoniaid, or the " Isle of Seals," commonly called the Isle of Skerries, a long island composed entirely of craggy pointed rocks, in which are great numbers of rabbits, and which, during the breeding season, is the resort of puffins and razor-bills. A lighthouse, exhibiting a steady light, was erected on the highest point of this island, in 1733, by the Corporation of the Trinity House, to facilitate the navigation of this part of the channel, and for the preservation of the numerous vessels employed in the trade between Liverpool and Dublin : it has been of material use in the preservation of life and property, but the want of a superior elevation to render it visible at a greater distance has much tended to diminish the benefits which it might otherwise have afforded to vessels navigating this dangerous part of the channel. A more eligible situation might be found on the main land, at a point called Cader Rhwydrus, where the light would have an elevation of nearly a hundred feet above that which it has in its present situation. The Isle of Skerries anciently belonged to the monks of Bangor, and was the principal fishery appertaining to that see, the prelates of which, by neglect, having suffered it to be usurped by the family of Griffith, of Penrhyn, Bishop Dean, in 1498, exerted himself for its recovery, and, after a considerable struggle, succeeded in procuring its restoration to the see. The living is annexed to the rectory of Llanrhyddlad, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church is a small ancient edifice, situated nearly in the centre of the headland projecting into the sea, near the small island called the West Mouse. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A small parochial school, in which a few poor children are gratuitously instructed, is supported by subscription. John Hughes, in 1778, bequeathed £50 to the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 143. 18. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanrhwydrys to another place.
Pen yr Orsedd Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Pen yr Orsedd, Cemlyn, is situated in the parish of Llanrhwydrus,Anglesey. Property at Pen yr Orsedd was occupied by Grace Thomas (1807-1885), a daughter of Owen Thomas, who married John Hughes of Monachdy (1800-1870). They had a son, Owen Hughes, who married Margaret Williams of Llanfwrog, Anglesey. Grace Thomas was a descendent of Thomas Prys (or Price), who died ca. 1807"
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrhwydrys has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Anglesey Property Deeds - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"A collection of deeds and other legal documents relating to property in Anglesey. Includes documents relating to ....... Ffron ddu and Neuadd in Llanrhwydrys(1776-1829)"
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
- Llanrhwydrys land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
- Llanrhwydrys Parish;- 1745-1984: records
- Llanrhwydrys tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Llanrhwydrys window tax;- 1760: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH333920 (Lat/Lon: 53.398244, -4.509001), Llanrhwydrys which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)