"DENIO, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 1 mile from Pwllheli. The living is a curacy* annexed to the vicarage* of Llannor. The church is dedicated to St. Benno. The charities amount to £65 per annum, £40 of which goes to Vaughan's grammar school." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



  • Parry, A Ivor. Election of guardians for the parish of Denio, 1907 = etholiad gwarcheidwaid dros blwyf Denio. Pwllheli : W. Llewelyn Ellis, [1907?]

Business & Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Solomon Andrews Papers 1749-1985
    "Records relating to Solomon Andrews & Son's business interests, mainly in Pwllheli, Caernarfonshire, and Arthog, Merionethshire........"
  • Pwllheli and District Trades Council Papers 1956-1964
  • Papers of Ebenezer Morris Roberts, of Penlan Street, Pwllheli, Solicitor 1747-1873
  • Papers of William Jones and Son, Pwllheli
    Records of William Jones and Son, timber yard, Pwllheli. 1843-[c.1965]; ...... British and Foreign Bible Society, Pwllheli Auxiliary Branch records, 1843-1908; ...... Pwllheli Church Expenses Fund records, 1906-1910...."
  • John Lewis Williams Papers [c.1802]-1974
    " ...... a dispensing chemist and optician at Mona Pharmacy, High Street, Pwllheli .......papers include annual reports and related records of Penlan Chapel, Pwllheli, [c.1894]-1974...."

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Pwllheli Borough in Denio Parish; Statistics; Area 1278 acres; Population 1063 males, 1268 females, total 2331

  • Pwllheli St Peter's Parish Church (Denio)     Consecrated 1833       Attendance - morning 124 + 18 scholars, evening 111 + 13 scholars     "Perpetual curacy annexed gto the vicarage of Llannor - Lewis 1849"              Thos. Jones, Vicar
  • The return also  mentions a missing return for "Church of England" [?]
  • Baptist Chapel       Erected 1816           Attendance - morning 150, afternoon 130 scholars, evening 200               Evan Pritchard, Deacon, Carnarvon Rd
  • Penymount Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist              Re-erected the 4th time 1842          Attendance -  average - morning 650, afternoon 461 scholars, evening 1100      Owen Edwards, Elder, Draper
  • Penlan Chapel, Goal [Gaol?] St, Independent               Erected 1814             Attendance - morning 118 scholars, afternoon 171, evening 144       "The present Chapel is the third erected on or near the same site. The second was recorded AD 1741 and the first is supposed to have been erected about the year 1650 "             Rees Philpot Griffith, Independent Minister
  • Wesley St Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist             Erected 1804        Attendance - morning 92, afternoon 146 scholars, evening 206         Robert Jones, Wesleyan Minister

    See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;

    • Capel y Drindod, Presbyterian chapel, Pwllheli (formerly Pen-mownt Welsh CM chapel, Pwllheli)
    • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Pwllheli chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2013)

      Church Records

      Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

      Penlan chapel, Pwllheli - see above


      Description & Travel

      You can see pictures of Denio which are provided by:





      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Hughes, Guy, collection Gwyneth Vaughan and Hughes family of Pwllheli papers 1838-1972
      • Lloyd Griffith collection of Ellis R. Williams, of Pwllheli, and Golden Fleece Inn, Tremadoc, papers 1850-1972
      • Pugh, Edward John, (from Pwllheli) papurau (papers) 1906-1956
        "........... was the founder of Cymdeithas Llaw Fer Gymraeg (Welsh Shorthand Society)......"


      Hughes, D G Lloyd.  Pwllheli: an old Welsh town and its history   Gomer 1991

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Ifan Pugh, Journalist, Pwllheli, Collection 1938-1978
        "...... was a journalist and collected newspaper cuttings connected with Pwllheli and the surrounding area....."
      • Sara Roberts, Pwllheli, Papers
        "...including programmes, booklets and other items of Pwllheli interest, [1860s]-1961; copies of The Pwllheli News, 1930-1939; notebooks of Sara Roberts and others relating to Pwllheli [19th century]-[20th century]......"
      • Pwllheli and Nefyn Light Railway Papers 1903-1907
        "Papers relating to a proposal to construct a light railway from Pwllheli to Nefyn and Porth Dinllaen...."


      Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) 

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH371356 (Lat/Lon: 52.893525, -4.422383), Denio which are provided by:


      Poor Houses, Poor Law

      Pwllheli Workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site Pwllheli Union records 1837-1948 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales


      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Deneio Parish Records 1760-1851
      • Pwllheli Borough Council, records 1780-1974
        "Pwllheli was granted a charter as a free borough by Edward, the Black Prince, in 1355 .........."
      • Pwllheli Corporation Papers 1883-1908
      • Pwllheli Toc H Archive 1934-1988
        "Toc H was founded after the First World War to promote Christian fellowship and social service....."
      • Minute Book of Independent Order of Oddfellows 1841 August 10 - 1890 December 30
        "The Independent Order of Oddfellows is a fraternal organisation which evolved from the medieval trade guilds in the City of London during the 17th century..........."


      Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute 1916-1966 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
      "Madryn Castle Farm School, Pwllheli was opened in 1913 .... as a technical school. ... It was closed in 1952, and moved to Plas Glynllifon, .... becoming Glynllifon Agricultural Institute. .... It became Glynllifon Agricultural College in 1954, and later became Coleg Glynllifon...."