"EGLWYS ILAN, in the Cwmwd of Senghenydd, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Caerphilly), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Chapels of Llan Fabon, and St. Martin, valued in the King's Books at £6..13..1 1/2: Patrons, The Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter of Llandaff: Church dedicated to St. Elian. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Hamlets of Eglwys Ilan, Ener Glynn, Glynn Tâff, Hendredenny, Parc, Rhyd y Byddin, and The Town of Caerphilly) was 1885. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £870..8..8 1/2, at 18s..10 1/2d. in the pound. It is 12 m. N. b W. from Caerdiff. Here is a Free School, for the education of poor Girls of this Parish, and Bedwas, in the County of Monmouth, in reading, writing, and sewing: the present emolument is £80. per annum, arising from Lands, being a Bequest of the late Mrs. Ann Alldworth, of the City of Bristol. This Parish contains 12,000 acres of cultivated Land, chiefly inclosed; besides Waste lands and Woods. Tâff Well is esteemed beneficial in Rheumatic complaints. Here is the celebrated New Bridge, over the river Tâf; the chord of the Arch being 140 feet, and 35 feet in altitude: it was built by WILLIAM EDWARDS, a native of this Parish, and who lies buried in the Church-yard. This Parish abounds with Coal mines, and fine Quarries of Stone. Castell Côch, i.e., The Red Castle, which is situate in a romantic spot in a Wood, defended the Pass near the Tâff from the Vale to the Hills about five miles North from Caerdiff: it is now in Ruins, and is the property of The Marquis of Bute. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of Eglwys Ilan and Llan Fabon, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £120."(From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.)




Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

References to the parish of Eglwysilan at



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Ilan


There are more than 30 churches identified in this place. Please click here for a complete list.

Church History

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Ilan's Church

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for photographs of various churches/chapels in this parish

Eglwysilan Church - on the People's Collection Wales site


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Ilan, and is in the Benefice of Eglwysilan. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST107890.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1679-1900, Marriages, 1695-1837, Burials, 1694-1891. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
BaptismsMarriagesBurialsBannsBishops Transcripts
1679-19301695-19221694-19291823-1834, 1844-19011696-1697, 1717, 1724-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records     " ..... including registers of marriage, 1679-1922; baptism, 1679-1930; burial, 1679-1929; banns, 1852-1901; services, 1931-1940; list of churchwardens, 1748-1758; preachers books, 1891-1921; histories of the parish of Eglwysilan and St. Martins chapel; account book, 1841-1863"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Eglwysilan, Christenings (BT's), 1813-1875
  • Eglwysilan, Caerphilly St. Martin - Christenings (BT's) - 1834-1875

Description & Travel

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Eglwysilan which are provided by:



Transcript of complete name listing for Eglwysilan & Caerphilly from Slaters Directory for 1858-1859.

Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Transcript of complete name listing for Whitchurch, with the parishes and villages of Lisvane, Llanishen, Pentyrch, Tongwynlais, Taff's Well and Walnut Tree Bridge, from Slaters Directory for 1880.



The transcription of the section for Eglwysilan from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Edmunds family, of Eglwysilan, papers      "William Edmunds (fl. 1712-1738) left a life interest in land at Eglwysilan, Glamorgan, to his wife Mary in 1739. She sold the land to John Richard of Llandaff, Glamorgan, thereby dispossessing the heirs of William Edmund of their inheritance. In trying to reclaim the lands at Eglwysilan the Edmunds took their case to the Court of Quarter Sessions at Swansea, Glamorgan, where the verdict was found in their favour. However, on appeal, they lost their case at the assizes. .................................."

Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish



This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Plan of the parish of Eglwysilan in the County of Glamorgan - on the People's Collection Wales site

Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST122880 (Lat/Lon: 51.58408, -3.269034), Eglwysilan which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Eglwysilan parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Helen D'All)

  • Glyntaff (77); Bwlch Carn-y-Gelli; Careg Siglo; Carneddi Llwydion ?; Cemy.; Chain works; Cilfynydd; Coedcae Corrwg; Coed Pen Maen; Colliery; Dyffryn ?; Glyntaff; Garnedd-lwyd; Hospital; Mynydd Eglwysilan; Pentre Bach; Pant Drain; Pont Shon Norton; Rhyd-y-felin; Track; Twyn-y-Gwynt; Twyn Howell; Ty-Draw; White Hawthorn
  • Park (78); Abertridwr; Abertridwr Station; Cefn Llwyd; Coed-Craig-Ddu; Collieries(2); Craig-yr-Hyfan; Garth; Gelli-Fanidlogt; Maes Diofal; Nant Cwm Sarn?; Senghenydd; Waterworks
  • Hendre Denny (79); Beddau; Coed-Brain; Coed-Cae-Piod; Colliery; Craig-Wen; Cwarrau Mawr; Eglwysilan; GWR; Hendredenny Hall; Mynydd Mayo; Nant-yr-Aber; Old Rlwy; Pont y Pandy; Pwll-y-Pant
  • Energlyn (80); Caerphilly; Cemetery; Furnace ?; GWR; Isolation hospital; Pandy; Pen yr Heol; Rhos Row; Virginia Ho.
  • Eglwysilan 1 (81A); Brynau; Bwlch-y-cwin?; Castell Coch; Fforest Fawr; Fforest Newydd; Dyffryn Isaf; Glamorganshire Canal; Glan-y-llyn; Graig; Graig yr allt; Groes-wen; GWR; Isolation hospitals (2); Maen milwr; Mynydd Mayo; Nantgarw; Nant Gledyr?; Penrhys Ho.; Pen-y-groes; Reservoirs (2); Taffs Well; Ty-fry; Upper Boat; Walnut Tree Intrenchment; Watford; Willow Ford
  • Eglwysilan 2 (81B); Caerau; Caerphilly; Caerphilly Common; Cefn Carnau; Coal & brick works; Taipenstar; The Warren; Thornhill; Wern Ddu




The Population of Eglwysilian was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 3,8131851 - 5,1101861 - 6,3831871 - 8,2001881 - 8,9381891 - 15,795

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Eglwysilan Civil Parish records    " ........... including rate book, 1858; overseers accounts, 1819-1829; Caerphilly gas rate accounts, 1877-1879; tithe plan and apportionment, 1841; altered apportionment with plans, 1854-1926, valuation list, c1877"


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Eglwysilan School Board records     " ...... comprising minute book of managers of Coedpenmain School, 1876-1889; minute books of Eglwysilan School Board, 1899-1903; Cilfynydd school questionnaire, 1891"