"LLANTRITHYD (LLAN-TRYDDYD), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 221 inhabitants. ... More " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833]



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Illtyd



Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Glamorgan Chapels Database - here are  references to non-conformist chapels/meeting houses found in this parish

  • [Llantrithyd] 1786 June 7 Independant; the dwelling house of Edward MORRIS called Horse land, William LEWIS, Thomas JONES, , Evan JONES, Thomas JOHN, Richard THOMAS, Edmund DAVID, Richard WILLIAM, David WILLIAM, David WILLIAMS, Jenkin JEREMIAH, William JEREMIAH, John GRIFFITH, Evan DAVID, Morgan DAVID, William THOMAS, Jenkin JEREMIAH Junior
  • [Llantrithyd] 1814 May 2; Calvanist; a building called Garn, Thomas JENKINS, farmer, Shadrach DAVIES, Thomas THOMAS,
  • [Llantrithyd] 1815 April 10; Calvanist; a building called Pentwyn; Lewis DAVID, shopkeeper, Shadrach DAVIES         Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel 


Photograph of Llantrithyd Church old stone tomb, taken by Ronald Reynolds in the early 20th century. - on the People's Collection Wales site


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd, and is in the Benefice of Llancarfan with Llantrithyd. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST044728.

People wishing to visit Llanrtithyd Church (St Illtyd's) can call 01446 781381for access.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
BaptismsMarriagesBurialsBannsBishops Transcripts
1597-19791571-1653, 1663-1752, 1756-1811, 1816-19701571-1978-1724-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantrithyd Ecclesiastical Parish records               " .........  including registers of baptisms, 1597-1979; marriages, 1571-1970; burials, 1571-1978; memoranda of baptisms, marriages and burials of members of the Aubrey family, 1641-1808; licences, 1820; churchwardens papers, 1896-1897, parochical church council records, 1957; civil and miscellaneous records"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llantrithyd, St. Illtyd - Christenings (BT's), 1597-1874, Marriages, 1571-1752

Description & Travel

Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Llantrithyd - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Llantrithyd which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Cowbridge, and neighbouring parishes from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-

1858-1859(Slaters Directory) 1880(Slaters Directory)


The transcription of the section for Llantrithyd from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Descriptions of the parish from
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Breach

Land & Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Aubrey family of Llantrithyd papers   1650-1937          "The Aubrey family inherited lands in Llantrithyd (Glamorgan) when Sir Thomas Aubrey, second son of Dr William Aubrey married Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Anthony Mansel of Llantrithyd in 1586. Sir Thomas's second son, Sir John Aubrey, a strong Royalist was created baronet in 1660. Sir John's heir was Sir John Aubrey (d 1700), 2nd Bart., of Llantrithyd who married secondly, Mary, second daughter and following the death of her brother, Edward in 1674, co-heiress of William Lewis of the Van, Glamorgan, Boarstal and Brill, Buckinghamshire. Mary died childless and settled considerable maternal estates away from her paternal uncle, Lewis of Van, and upon the Aubreys of Llantrithyd................................"
  • Morgan family of Llantrithyd and St Mary Church papers   "Papers of John and Thomas Morgan, of Cross Farm, Llantrithyd and Pen-yr-heol Farm, St Mary Church, 1858-1939;........................."


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST041728 (Lat/Lon: 51.445927, -3.382029), Llantrithyd which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Llantrithyd as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)

  • Llantrithyd [157] - Castell-y-dryw, Coed Arthur, Coed Hills, Cross, Garn, Llantrithyd Ho, Llantrithyd Park, Llantrithyd Place, Llantrithyd, Pant-y-ffynnon, Pentre, Tre-Aubrey, Ty canol, Ty-draw


The Population of Llantrithyd was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 2281851 - 2011861 - 2041871 - 1881881 - 1591891 - 155

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantrithyd Civil Parish records       " ......... comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1840; vestry and parish meeting minute book, 1890-1922; assistant overseers rate book, 1926; assistant overseers receipt and payment book, 1922-1927; miscellaneous deeds and papers, 1717-1947"