"WICK, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, consolidated with the Vicarage of St. Bride's Major, and of the certified value of £14: Chapel dedicated to St. James. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 259. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £67..18..6 1/2: the Rates being levied by the acre. It is 5 m. S.S.E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains 1000 acres of inclosed Land." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

"WICK, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Cowbridge, containing 349 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the coast of the Bristol channel. The living is consolidated with the vicarage of St. Bride's Major, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church, dedicated to St. James, is not remarkable for any architectural details. There are places of worship for Unitarian Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by subscription. Anthony Patch bequeathed £5, Thomas Williams a small rent-charge, and two unknown benefactors the respective sums of £14 and £ 10, for the relief of the poor. Near the church are the ruins of an extensive bnilding, covered with ivy : by some it is supposed to have been a religious house, though there is no record of any establishment of the kind ; by others it is thought to have been one of the ancient halls so frequently met with in this county, in which the lords marcher held their courts, and which were subsequently converted into schools and almshouses, and were generally known by the appellation of "church houses." The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £116. 12." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. James
  • Baptist/Unitarian Church

Church History

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for photographs of various churches/chapels in this parish


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

The church is dedicated to St. James, and is in the Benefice of Llantwit Major. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS923722.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1721-1915, Marriages, 1721-1837, Burials, 1721-1987.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
BaptismsMarriagesBurialsBannsBishops Transcripts
1802-19861754-19871802-19871825-19231721, 1723-1791, 1793-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Wick Ecclesiastical Parish registers         " .......... including registers of baptisms, 1802-1986; marriages, 1754-1993; burials, 1802-1987; banns, 1825-1923; services, 1929-1966; miscellaneous and civil records, 1741-1849"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Wick, St. James - Christenings (BT's), 1723-1864

Description & Travel

Wick - on Wikipedia

Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Broughton - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"

You can see pictures of Wick which are provided by:



Transcript of complete name listing for Wick, with the parishes and villages of Llandow, Marcross and Monknash, from Slaters Directory for 1880.



The transcription of the section for Wick from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Broughton (formerly in the Parish of Monknash)
  • Monkton
  • Tre pit


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS918724 (Lat/Lon: 51.439882, -3.558197), Wick which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Wick as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Wick (116); Beacon Tower (in ruins); Broughton; Brychau; Cae-Caradog; Clawdd y Mynach; Clemenstone Brook; Cwrt-y-mynach; Clearhill Cott.; Glanmor; Green-isaf; Green-uchaf; Heol-fain; Heol Las; Maesyr(hist?); Monkton isaf; Old Windmills; Rackland; Rhyle; Traeth Mawr; West Fm.; West Ho.; West street Fm.; Whitmore Stairs; Wick (village)


There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

  • From the Barry Dock News 9th September 1898

WICK. PRIMROSE LEAGUE.—A successful meeting of the Primrose League took place at the Schoolroom, Wick, on Tuesday evening last. Colonel Franklin, Clementstone, occupied the chair, and there was a crowded attendance .....(part extract)......

  • From the Barry Dock News 14th March 1890

WICK. CONCERT.—A successful concert was given at the Wick Schoolroom, on Friday evening last, in aid of the funds of the Wick Cricket Club. The room was well filled,    .....(part extract)......

  • From The Glamorgan Gazette 2nd April 1915

WICK. It is interesting to learn that Wick and its adjacent villages, Broughton and Monknash, have done their bit towards the war. The sum of .£10 11s. 6d. has been contributed by the ladies of the three villages, and with this money gifts of 107 scarves, 10 pairs of socks, and 3 helmets were made for the troops at the front and on home service.   .....(part extract)......

  • From The Glamorgan Gazette 24th April 1908

WICK. The School.—The Rev. A. J. Holme-Russel (Diocesan Inspector) paid his annual visit on the 7th inst., and has classed the school as "Excellent."

  •  From The Glamorgan Gazette 1st July 1910

WICK. Friendly Societies' Demonstration.—The annual dinner of the members of the Oddfellows and Philanthropic Friendly Societies of Wick and Monknash took place on Saturday. Headed by the Pencoed Brass Band (under Bandmaster Moore), the members, wearing their scarves and carrying the banners of their lodges, attended Divine service at Wick Parish Church, where an excellent sermon was preached by the Rev. E. Rees. After service, the upper part of the village was paraded, and at half-past one, the Schoolroom was reached, full justice being done to the sumptuous dinner there provided by Mrs. Gibbon, of the Star Inn.   .....(part extract)......



The Population of Wick was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 3771851 - 4041861 - 4231871 - 3841881 - 3631891 - 327

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Wick Civil parish records    ".......... comprising copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1841 [copied 1914]"