"GUMFRESTON, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN (but apparently in NARBERTH hundred), county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 miles (W. by N.) from Tenby, containing 103 inhabitants. This place, from its pleasant situation near the coast, and the highly medicinal properties of some springs which are strongly impregnated with iron, has for some time been rising into consideration, and is likely to become, under judicious management, a place of fashionable resort during the summer season. . . Coal of hard quality is found in the parish, but is worked only for the supply of the immediate neighbourhood. . . The church is a handsome structure, romantically situated in a richly wooded dell, where it is concealed from distant view, excepting only its lofty square tower, which forms an object of picturesque and interesting appearance. The parsonage-house, which is pleasantly situated, has been much enlarged and improved by the present incumbent, who is about to establish a Sunday school for the gratuitous instruction of the children of the parish. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464344
  • 1851 Census - 0104233
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850852
  • 1881 Census - 1342303
  • 1891 Census - 6099637

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Gumfreston Parish Church Gilbert N Smith, Rector

Parish entry for Tenby with Gumfreston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary & St Julian & New Hedges Mission Church & Parish Church (Gumfreston)
  • Incumbent and Curates; B C Edwards (F A Oswell & J C Hill)
  • Rural Deanery of Narberth
  • Acreage 2,047 & --- & --- & 1,658; Population 5,102

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Larence's Church, Gumfreston

'Gumfreston Church', plate taken from a book entitled 'Gumfreston and St. Florence', 19th century - on the People's Collection Wales site


    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1647-1966), Marriages (1655-1970) Banns (1843-1949), Burials (1651-1790, 1813-1954) at Pem.RO

    Copy PR CMB (1799-1806) incomplete at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1831, 1833-50, 1853-9, 1861-73) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105141.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels: None found


    Description & Travel

    'Gumfreston', by J. Burford, etching, plate taken from a book, 19th century - on the People's Collection Wales site

    You can see pictures of Gumfreston which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Gumfreston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.



    There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..



    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN105024 (Lat/Lon: 51.688517, -4.743605), Gumfreston which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Gumfreston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Gumfreston (136); Ashridge, Daisy back Fm., Gumfreston, Island Fm.,Wedlock Fms.