"LLANGWM (LLAN-GWM), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 697 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the church in the vale," is pleasantly situated on the western bank of Milford Haven, about the same distance from Pembroke as from Haverfordwest. . . At the village, which extends along the shore, is a horse ferry to the parish of Coedcanlais. The inhabitants are principally engaged in a lucrative oyster fishery . . . Coal and culm are found here in great abundance: the mines are worked by Sir John Owen, Bart., who is the principal proprietor, and the produce is shipped at Hook Quay, for the supply of the neighbouring districts. . . The church, dedicated to St. Hierom, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments, among which are several to the memory of the family of Roch. There is a place of worship for Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464345
  • 1851 Census - 0104235
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850855
  • 1881 Census - 1342305
  • 1891 Census - 6099644

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llangwm Parish Church Thomas Williams, Rector
  • Llangum chapel Wesleyan Erected in 1822 John Styrme, Steward

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Jerome
  • Incumbent and Curates; W Griffith
  • Rural Deanery of Roose
  • Acreage 1,907; Population 828

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Chapel photographs on the People's Collection Wales site

  •  Galilee Baptist Chapel, Llangwm  
  • Photograph: Sunday school in Nanau, Llangwm 1967 
  •  English Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Llangwm 
  • Mount Zion Congregational Chapel, (Salem) West Hook
     Dickman, H.J. "Within these walls": the story of Hill Mountain and Llangwm Wesley Methodist Churches in the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuit, Haverfordwest, J.W. Hammond (1981) 51 p.

    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1716-1949), Marriages (1716-1966) Banns (1811-18, 1865-1948), Burials (1716-1949) at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-83) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105174.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Galilee Baptist chapel - see Burton parish
    • Hook Gospel Mission, West Hook, Llangwm SM978114 Later-C20 structure. Still open 1993 Coflein
    • Chapel , in Llangwm village [Wesleyan Methodists, 1822]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits ; baptismal registers, 1842-1934, circuit schedule and plans , quarterly minutes, accounts, 1889-1980, at Pem RO [DFC/M/9] SM99020947 Built 1822, rebuilt 1897 Still open 2000 Coflein See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph On Dyfed FHS

    Description & Travel

    Llangwm village site - with photographs

    You can see pictures of Llangwm which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Llangwm from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.



    Fisherwoman from Llangwm, Pembrokeshire, early C20th - on the People's Collection Wales site

    Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.193-195.

    Hughes, Basil. Jottings Pembrokeshire Burton, Freystrop and Llangwn Parishes. [Kindle Edition 2013]

    Thomas, W. Grenville, (William Grenville) . Llangwm essays and sketches .Publisher [Milford Haven] : [W. Grenville Thomas], 1992. 64p

    Thomas, W. Grenville, (William Grenville) Llangwm through the ages. [Milford Haven] : [W. Grenville Thomas], [1991] 67p


    Land & Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Harcourt Powell family, of Drinkstone Park, Suffolk 1518-1867 "The Hook estate, Llangwm , Pembrokeshire, was purchased by the Powell family in the late 18th or early 19th century......"


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM981107 (Lat/Lon: 51.758541, -4.927325), Llangwm which are provided by:


    Military History

    Llangwm History Society WW1 on the People's Collection Wales site


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llangwm parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Llangwm (108); Blacktar, Blacktar Point, Dungeon Hill, East Hook, Fowborough Point, Hook, Knap, Llangwm, Nash, Sprinkle Pill, Tallyho


    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Pembrokeshire Coalfield (Hook Colliery) Papers 1907-1957 (mainly 1932-1957) (accumulated [c. 1948]-1957) "Hook Colliery, Llangwm, Pembrokshire, was opened in 1850, and operated until 1947.........."
    • Harcourt Roberts papers 1817-1948 "T. W. Harcourt Roberts was the general manager of Hook Colliery in the mid 20th century. The Roberts family lived on the Little Milford Estate in Freystrop, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire............"

    Social Life & Customs

    Llangwm Choir on the People's Collection Wales site