"LLANRIAN (LLAN-RHIAN), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.E.) from St. David's, containing 715 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the north-western extremity of the county, and on the coast of St. George's channel, by which it is bounded on the west and north: the surrounding scenery is pleasing, and the views over the channel and the adjacent country are interesting and. extensive. It constitutes a prebend in the cathedral church of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £19. 9. 7., and annexed to the archdeaconry of Carmarthen. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 11. 3., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St.Rheanus, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Near the church are some Druidical remains, consisting of many large stones, most of which are now broken: they were formerly erect, and, in their arrangement and general appearance, formed in miniature, according to Mr. Fenton, a tolerably correct representation of Stonehenge. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £264." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



MIs by Dyfed Family History Society for Llanrhian, Croesgoch, The Baptist Chapel [Old Cemetery].



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104237
  • 1861 Census - 0543245
  • 1871 Census - 0850857
  • 1881 Census - 1342306
  • 1891 Census - 6099648

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanrian Parish Church Jacob Hughes, Minister, Trevgwr, Haverfordwest
  • Trevine CM Erected in 1786, rebuilt in 1834 William Phillip, Deacon, Rhoslyn, Llanrian
  • Trevine Particular Baptist Erected in 1843 William Mathias, Deacon, Trevine
  • Croesgoch, Llanryan Particular Baptist Erected in 1817 David Jones, Deacon, Croesgoch

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Rhian
  • Incumbent and Curates; R K Williams
  • Rural Deanery of Dewisland
  • Acreage 3,801; Population 849

Church and chapel photographs on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Church and overgrown cemetery at Llanrhian 
  • Croesgoch Baptist Chapel, Llanrhian 
  • Elim Baptist Chapel, Trevine 
  • Trevine Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Mathry

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Rhiain


    Church Records

    A few entries CMB (1686-) included in earliest extant PR

    Parish registers: Christenings (1729-1957), Marriages (1729-1970) Banns (1878-1905), Burials (1729-1993) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR C (1686-1812, extracts to 1903), M (1729-1807, extracts to 1862) B (1731-1812, extracts to 1880) at NLW

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1739, 1798-1801, 1803, 1806-79) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105180.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Groesgoch, in Groesgoch [Baptists, 1812]. Records ; See Llangloffan and Felinganol   On Dyfed FHS
    • Trevine, Ffordd-y-Felin, Trevine [Trefin] [Baptists, 1843] SM83813250 (Elim Capel Bach Sunday school) Built 1843, altered late C19th Still open 1993 Coflein     On Dyfed FHS
    • Trevine, Ffordd-yr-afon, Trevine village [Trefin] [ Calvinistic Methodists, 1786]. Records ; birth and bapts, 1811-37, at PRO RG4/2578, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 819966, IGI. SM84033248 Built 1786, rebuilt 1834, in 1936 restored Coflein     On Dyfed FHS Trefin CM chapel, Ffordd yr Afon - still open in 2006

    Description & Travel

    Various landscape/seascape photographs on the People's Collection Wales site

    You can see pictures of Llanrhian which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Llanrian from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    See Not everyone knows this for coverage of the slate industry in Llanrhian, under " Slate Quarrying in Pembrokeshire".



    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM824312 (Lat/Lon: 51.937088, -5.166235), Llanrhian which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llanrhian parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

    • Llanrian [60]; Aber Eiddy, Barry Island Fm, Caer-hafod, Castel Coch, Cerig Gwylan, Croes-goch, Henllys, Llanan, Llanrian, Parc y Mynwen, Pen Clegyr, Pen-y-parc, Porth Dwfn, Porth Eiddy, Porth Eoer, Porth Ffynnon, Porth Gain, Porth-Gain, Pwll Llong, Pwll Olva, Pwll Whiting, Sickly, Traeth Llyfn, Tre-Cynon, Tre newydd fawr, Tre yarched, Trevaccoon, Trevigan, Trevine, Trwyn Castell, Trwyn Ellen, Trwyn Llwyd, Waun Fawr, Ynys Barry, Ynys Fach