"MARY'S (ST.), otherwise MAENCLOCHOG (MAEN-CLOCHOG), a parish comprising the hamlets of MAENCLOCHOG and VORLAN, each of which maintains its own poor, the former in the hundred of KEMMES, and the latter in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, and containing 466 inhabitants, of which number, 427 are in the hamlet of St. Mary's, or Maenclochog, 10 miles (N. by W.) from Narberth. . . . The parish, which is situated in a mountainous district, comprises a considerable extent of land, the greater portion of which is unenclosed and uncultivated. . . . The village, which is of considerable size, occupies the summit of a bleak and barren eminence; and the inhabitants, with the exception of such as are employed in agriculture, are engaged in working some quarries of slate of good quality, which is found in the parish. . . . The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated in the centre of the village, is a neat edifice, rebuilt by subscription within the last forty years. A schoolroom has been erected in the churchyard, and is now occupied by one of Mrs. Bevan's circulating charity schools, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104230
  • 1861 Census - 0543241
  • 1871 Census - 0850850
  • 1881 Census - 1342301
  • 1891 Census - 6099632

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Maenclochog Parish Church George Harries, Vicar of Maenclochog
  • Maenclochog Ind Erected in 1791 David Owen, Minister, Silo, nr Ambleston
  • Tabernacle, village Ind Erected in 1847 David William, Deacon, Blacknuck, Parish of Henry's Moat
  • See the Horeb shown under the adjoining parish of Henry's Moat 

Parish entry for Maenclochog with Llandilo and Llanycefn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary & St Teilo, Llandilo (in ruins) & Parish Church (Llanycefn)
  • Incumbent and Curates; S Howell
  • Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
  • Acreage 6,974 & 2,725 ; Population 783 & 261

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph


Tabernacle chapel (Cong), Maenclochog on the People's Collection Wales site

Hen Gapel (Cong), Maenclochog on the People's Collection Wales site

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's ChurchCofio canrif sef hanes Eglwys Tabernacl Maenclochog, 1844-1944 : o dan ofal y gweinidog y Parch. Moelwyn Daniel. Caerfyrddin : W. Spurrell a'i fab, 1946. 32p [Centenary rememberance of the history of Tabernacle, Maenclochog, 1844-1944: in the care of the minister Rev Moelwyn Daniel]

Llythyr oddiwrth gymmanfa o weinidogion yr Independiaid a gynnaliwyd yn Maenclochog, Mehefin yr 2 a'r 3, 1819, at yr eglwysi a berthynant iddi. Cymanfa'r Annibynwyr Cymreig.Caerfyrddin,Argraffwyd gan J. Evans, 1819. 8p [Letter from an Assembly of Independent ministers held in Maenclochog, June 2/3 1819, to the churches belonging to it.]

Horeb, Maenclochog 1835-1985 : hanes y Bedyddwyr yn ardal Maenclochog.Eglwys y Bedyddwyr,1985,32p


Church Records

Parish register: Christenings (1770-1993), Marriages (1770-1970), Burials (1770-1993) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1771-1832) M (1779-1877) B (1770-1888) at NLW

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1799, 1801-36, 1839-52, 1854-61, 1865) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105187.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Capel Horeb Baptist, Rosebush, Maenclochog SN07382819 Built 1835, rebuilt 1885. Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS (but shown as Congregational)
  • Old Chapel (Hen Gapel), in Maenclochog village [Independents, 1790]. Records ; facsimile of register of births and bapts 1788-1970, at NLW Ms Dep 72/47 SN0835327437 Built 1791, modified, altered or rebuilt 1859, 1870 and 1905 Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2009)
  • Tabernacle, in Maenclochog village [Independents, 1847] . Records ; See Old Chapel On Dyfed FHS Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Jan 2009)
  • Ys Coldy Congregational (Tabernacle Sunday School) SN08302726 Built after 1891 Still open as chapel 1996 Coflein On Dyfed FHS

Description & Travel

A guide book for the use of visitors to the Precelly range Pembrokeshire : with notes on the Maenclochog railway ... Publisher Carmarthen : W.J. Morgan, 13p

Gale, John. The Maenclochog railway . Milford Haven : John Gale, 1992. 76p

Various landscape photographs of area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Maenclochog which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for Maenclochog from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.



Phillips, Frank . The Phillips family of Maenclochog and Henry's Moat. Dyfed Family History Journal 2/9, 3/1 (1988), (1988), p. 249-52, 11-14


Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN083287 (Lat/Lon: 51.923775, -4.789224), Maenclochog which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Maenclochog parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

  • Maenclochog [41]; Carn Afr, Cnwe, Coetty, Eithbed, Foel Cwm-oerwyn, Galchen, Maenclochog, Pant maenog, Rosebush, Westland,
  • Vorlan [42]; Cil-moor, Castell Vorlan

Social Life & Customs

Merched y Wawr Maenclochog Branch Celebrating 25 Years -  on the People's Collection Wales site