St Twynnells


"TWINNEL'S (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 274 inhabitants. This parish, the village of which is pleasantly situated on an eminence in the southern part of the county, comprises a considerable portion of enclosed and cultivated land, and a small tract of open downs, affording good pasturage for sheep and young cattle. Limestone is found in it, and some quarries have been opened, in the working of which a portion of the inhabitants are employed. The village is neatly built and of prepossessing appearance. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 17. 11. and in the patronage of the Subchanter and Minor Chapter of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Deiniol, is an ancient building, with a very lofty tower, and, from its elevated situation, is an interesting and conspicuous object from all parts of the surrounding country. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. Poor children of this parish are eligible for gratuitous instruction in the schools founded by Lady Cawdor, in the adjoining parishes of Warren and Stackpool Elidur. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £133. 2." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104234
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850854
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099641

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • No return for Parish Church
  • Thorn CM Erected about 1812 Evan Pervis, Minister, Tremorgan

Parish entry for Warren with St Twinnell from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary & St Gwynog (St Twinnell)
  • Incumbent and Curates; G C Rowe
  • Rural Deanery of Castlemartin
  • Acreage 1,211 & 1,418 ; Population 225

    Church Records

    PR CB (1791-1812) M (1754-71) recorded in 1831 apparently lost

    Parish registers: Christenings (1729-91, 1813-1922), Marriages (1729-53, 1774-1835, 1837-1968), Burials (1729-91, 1814-1991) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR CMB (1729-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-71, 1874-8, 1882, 1889-90, 1899) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105208.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Bethel, in Thorne [Calvinistic Methodists, 1813]. Records ; See Wallaston SR94469663 Built 1813, enlarged 1860, restored 1947 Still open 2004 Coflein On Dyfed FHS

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of St Twynnells which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for St Twynnells from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SR950962 (Lat/Lon: 51.626779, -4.962945), St Twynnells which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within St Twynnells parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)

    • St Twynnells (158); Bullslaughter Bay, Carew Farm, Hayston, Loveston, Southrow, Thorne, Trenorgan, Valasthill, Venn